Thursday, January 17, 2013

Moving on from 2012

So, 2012 was not my best year. Don’t get me wrong…personally, professionally, academically I did pretty well.  However, I feel as though I dropped the ball in my literature life.  Here is the (far too short) list of books I read for pleasure:
1.       The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton – January 7, 2012
2.       The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb – January 20, 2012
3.       The Question of God by Dr. Armand M. Nicholi, Jr. – February 12, 2012
4.       The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – February 19, 2012
5.       The Pearl by John Steinbeck – March 9, 2012
6.       The Grace to Race by Sister Madonna Buder – March 18, 2012
7.       The Journey to the East by Herman Hesse – May 28, 2012
8.       Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond – June 7, 2012
9.       The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie – June 9, 2012
10.   A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens – July 21, 2012
11.   The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson – August 1, 2012
12.   The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larson – August 1, 2012
13.   The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larson –October 28, 2012
14.   Gluten-Free Girl by Shauna James Ahern – December 1, 2012
*dates reflect the day that I finished each book
Yep…that’s it! The number is almost embarrassing to me.

But then I remember that I made significant progress in the journey toward my graduate degree and a significant amount of my free time is dedicated to that endeavor (if I included grad school reading on this list, it would tell a whole other story about my year).  I also took on much more responsibility at work and this fall was possibly one of the most stressfully busy times that I’ve experienced in my life. 
Okay, here’s the plan…move forward! Finish my master’s degree this year and hopefully be much more proud of my 2013 reading list.  The funny thing is, that would have been the plan no matter what this list looks like.  So, in retrospect, I must be doing okay.
Also, what should I read in 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment